Recent Posts

Monday, June 03, 2013

Music Man

After a year on the MacPhail Suzuki waiting list, we took the plunge and started our violin commitment. I say we, because the Suzuki method believes in the teaching triangle of student, teacher and parent. I started first, dusting off my old violin and scratching out the Twinkles with our teacher Kelly. Soren then joined us in February, first starting with clapping out rhythms, then moving to the violin box and bow holds, then finally to the actual violin. It is a big commitment for us all, but I can see how it is teaching Soren so many skills already. Beyond learning music he is learning about patience, perseverance, body control and listening skills. He is a fast learner and has really enjoyed it so far and I can't even begin to express how proud of him I am. He had his first recital on Saturday and I don't know who was more nervous, him or me. He was marvelous and I really hope that this sets the stage for a long term appreciation and involvement in the music world. Our deepest gratitude goes out to Gramma Anne, whom without her support, none of this could happen.
Soren outside MacPhail with his violin box when he started in February.
After graduating from the box in March, Soren is ready for the real deal. Here he is at Quinn Violin getting measured for his violin, a 1/8 size.
Quinn Violin wall of violins.
Soren's first violin recital June 1, 2013 in Antenello Hall at MacPhail.

0 comments: